Moving from Honolulu to Seattle
Relocating is a big step to make, but even more so when you’re choosing to move from a small island to a larger mainland state. To help you on your moving journey here is everything you need to know about moving from Hawaii to Seattle – from key facts about your soon to be home, to packing for your long distance move. If you’re looking for a moving company you can trust, choose Honolulu Movers
What do you need to know about Seattle?
Seattle is a city that is growing in popularity. The university town is a bustling hub of excitement, and offers a vast array of professional opportunities as well as a vibrant creative scene, great food, entertainment, stunning natural beauty, and of course, coffee.
West coast cities are known for their high rent and food costs, and Seattle is no exception. Average cost of living is above the national average, and sits in the middle of comparative cities Portland and San Francisco. With its famously stunning skyline, however, Seattle offers the big city perks that Portland can’t, while also giving everything a local feel, unlike San Francisco.
Thanks to a number of big businesses the economy in Seattle is on the rise. The city is headquarters to well-known names such as Amazon, Microsoft and Starbucks – each of which draw professionals from around the world. This vibrant and growing tech industry gives you numerous opportunities for career opportunities.
If part of your love for Hawaii is the beautiful tropical weather, you may want to think carefully about moving to Seattle. On average it rains in the city 152 days a year, but don’t let that dampen your spirits. There are still plenty of benefits to choosing to move to the city.
Seattle’s music scene is world famous, and draws in thousands of tourists each year. Not only that but the stunning scenery makes it unlike any other urban area in America, especially with the impressive Mount Rainier as its backdrop. Seattle has all sorts of hiking options, and numerous local parks dotted across the city, And if you’re drawn to the water, you can easily enjoy the thrill of white-water rafting or the breathtaking beauty of whale-watching.
How to prepare for a long distance move.
Long distance moves require far more thought and planning than local moves – especially when you’re relocating from an island to the mainland. Here are the steps you should take at the start, in order to ensure a smooth, successful and stress free move.
- Make a plan as soon as you decide you’re moving. Note down everything you need to achieve when moving, from researching moving companies, to looking into storage, and give each task a completion date.
- Use your plan to stay on schedule. Utilities and school enrollment are time sensitive, so make sure you include them on your list, and research when you need to have completed them by.
- Hire a reputable moving company. Don’t put your move and belongings in the hands of people you don’t trust. Scroll down to see our tips for choosing the right long distance moving company.
- Make sure important documents are up to date with your new address and information. When moving to a new state it’s important you know exactly what you need and how to go around it.
- Purchase moving insurance. Disasters during moves are uncommon, but not unheard of. Be sure to protect yourself and your family by purchasing comprehensive moving insurance.
How best to pack for a long distance move.
If you’ve moved multiple times before, you might think you’re a packing expert. However a long distance move is a different experience and challenge. Our advice will help you save money, downsize and ensure that everything you own arrives safely and on time.
- Create an inventory. During long distance moves your belongings will likely be spread across different states as they are moved at different times. The key to keeping track of everything is to create a detailed inventory list, and note down how each of your belongings are being shipped to your new home.
- Decide where everything will go in your new home, or if you’re moving into temporary accommodation make sure you know which belongings will be going into storage ahead of time.
- Following on from the tip above, make sure you prioritize the items that you need to keep with you. We always recommend packing an ‘open-first’ box, that includes all the essentials for your first few nights in your new home – such as towels, bedding and dishes – so you’re not stuck trying to find the basics when you arrive.
- Pack with distance in mind. Long distance moves will always require additional packing efforts. You may need extra packing materials to keep items safe during multiple loadings and unloadings, and be sure to tell your movers which boxes contain fragile items.
- Be organised with your packing. Make sure each box contains items for one room to make unpacking easier when you arrive. And be sure to label all boxes with your name to safeguard yourself against mistaken and lost items, as your boxes will likely be placed in trucks with other movers’ belongings.
- Leave it to the professionals when you can. Moving companies are experienced in packing and loading of all kinds of belongings. If you’re going to be short of time when packing you can always leave some of it to professional movers, so you can have peace of mind that everything will remain safe during your move.
What should you look for in a long distance moving company?
There are a wide range of moving parts that go into one long distance move. In order for your move to be successful, the first step is to hire a moving company that you trust. Here are a few things you should look out for in order to make sure you choose the right company for your move.
- Consider more established moving companies. Newer companies may be cheaper, but they are usually better suited to smaller and more local moves, rather than complicated long distance moves
- Will the company assign you a coordinator or a manager? Having one point of contact for all the information will make the move far easier on you, than having to deal with a different member of staff each time.
- Make sure they’re open with their prices. You don’t want to be stung with any hidden costs at the end of your move.
- Always discuss liability coverage. If something does go wrong, you want to be sure who will be at fault to make sure you don’t have to foot a large bill for a mistake that wasn’t yours.
- Will they keep you up to date on all pick-up and drop off times? You need to be sure that you will be able to plan out your move accurately.
Why should you choose to move to Seattle with Honolulu Movers?
Honolulu Moving Company is ranked among the top Honolulu movers on Oahu. With over 10 years experience, we have helped thousands of customers complete their long distance move in a professional and stress-free manner. Our movers are fully trained and dedicated to providing an excellent service.
We are fully licensed and insured, meaning you can rely on us to fully protect your belongings. Not only that, but we offer a wide range of services that can be customized to fit your individual needs and requirements. Our personalised moving plans include storage, packing, unpacking, military moving and more.