Moving from Hawaii to California
Relocating is a big step to make, but even more so when you’re choosing to move from a large mainland state to a small island. To help you on your moving journey here is everything you need to know about moving from California to Hawaii – from key facts about your soon to be home, to packing for your long distance move.
What do you need to know about Hawaii?
It’s common for people to want to move to Hawaii for the beautiful surroundings, tropical climate and relaxed pace of living. But there is more you should know before you decide to make your move to the Aloha state.
The first thing you need to be aware of is that the cost of living in Hawaii is high. That goes for housing costs, but it also applies to the food on grocery store shelves. Everything that has to be shipped or flown to the islands will cost more. Not only that but Hawaii income tax rates are among the highest in the country, and the state also has an estate tax.
Hawaii is a scientific hub, playing a key role in America’s scientific research – especially climate and astronomy research. The Mauna Kea Observatories take advantage of prime conditions for astronomical sightings atop the Mauna Kea mountain. And, the Mauna Loa Observatory is an atmospheric research facility that is central to U.S. climate research.
Hawaii is built on community, and residents often know their neighbors and have a strong sense of togetherness. Though the population can be transient as people cycle in and out of island living, making friends is easy. If you tend to be more on the aloof side, you might find that moving to Hawaii cures you of your natural reserve.
Finally, you may be debating which island to move to. In that case it’s worth noting that whichever Hawaiian island you choose to call home, you’ll be able to hop to the others quickly and easily. After moving to Hawaii it’s a good idea to explore all the islands. You can ask your new neighbors, co-workers and friends for their tips on finding cheap tickets and on when to visit each island.
How to prepare for a long distance move
Long distance moves require far more thought and planning than local moves – especially when you’re relocating from the mainland to an island. Here are the steps you should take at the start, in order to ensure a smooth, successful and stress free move.
- Make a plan as soon as you decide you’re moving. Note down everything you need to achieve when moving, from researching moving companies, to looking into storage, and give each task a completion date.
- Use your plan to stay on schedule. Utilities and school enrollment are time sensitive, so make sure you include them on your list, and research when you need to have completed them by.
- Hire a reputable moving company. Don’t put your move and belongings in the hands of people you don’t trust. Scroll down to see our tips for choosing the right long distance moving company.
- Make sure important documents are up to date with your new address and information. When moving to a new state it’s important you know exactly what you need and how to go around it.
- Purchase moving insurance. Disasters during moves are uncommon, but not unheard of. Be sure to protect yourself and your family by purchasing comprehensive moving insurance.
How best to pack for a long distance move
If you’ve moved multiple times before, you might think you’re a packing expert. However a long distance move is a different experience and challenge. Our advice will help you save money, downsize and ensure that everything you own arrives safely and on time.
- Create an inventory. During long distance moves your belongings will likely be spread across different states as they are moved at different times. The key to keeping track of everything is to create a detailed inventory list, and note down how each of your belongings are being shipped to your new home.
- Decide where everything will go in your new home, or if you’re moving into temporary accommodation make sure you know which belongings will be going into storage ahead of time.
- Following on from the tip above, make sure you prioritize the items that you need to keep with you. We always recommend packing an ‘open-first’ box, that includes all the essentials for your first few nights in your new home – such as towels, bedding and dishes – so you’re not stuck trying to find the basics when you arrive.
- Pack with distance in mind. Long distance moves will always require additional packing efforts. You may need extra packing materials to keep items safe during multiple loadings and unloadings, and be sure to tell your movers which boxes contain fragile items.
- Be organized with your packing. Make sure each box contains items for one room to make unpacking easier when you arrive. And be sure to label all boxes with your name to safeguard yourself against mistaken and lost items, as your boxes will likely be placed in trucks with other movers’ belongings.
- Leave it to the professionals when you can. Moving companies are experienced in packing and loading of all kinds of belongings. If you’re going to be short of time when packing you can always leave some of it to professional movers, so you can have peace of mind that everything will remain safe during your move.
What should you look for in a long distance moving company?
There are a wide range of moving parts that go into one long distance move. In order for your move to be successful, the first step is to hire a moving company that you trust. Here are a few things you should look out for in order to make sure you choose the right company for your move.
- Consider more established moving companies. Newer companies may be cheaper, but they are usually better suited to smaller and more local moves, rather than complicated long distance moves
- Will the company assign you a coordinator or a manager? Having one point of contact for all the information will make the move far easier on you, than having to deal with a different member of staff each time.
- Make sure they’re open with their prices. You don’t want to be stung with any hidden costs at the end of your move.
- Always discuss liability coverage. If something does go wrong, you want to be sure who will be at fault to make sure you don’t have to foot a large bill for a mistake that wasn’t yours.
- Will they keep you up to date on all pick-up and drop off times? You need to be sure that you will be able to plan out your move accurately.
Why should you choose to move to Hawaii with Honolulu Movers?
Honolulu Moving Company is ranked among the top Honolulu movers on Oahu. With over 10 years experience, we have helped thousands of customers complete their long distance move in a professional and stress-free manner. Our movers are fully trained and dedicated to providing an excellent service.
We are fully licensed and insured, meaning you can rely on us to fully protect your belongings. Not only that, but we offer a wide range of services that can be customized to fit your individual needs and requirements. Our personalized moving plans include storage, packing, unpacking, military moving and more.
If you’re looking for a moving company you can trust, choose Honolulu Movers.
If you are planning to move from Hawaii to California, you have come to the right place! Here you will find some effective tips that will come in handy when you are planning to make this long distance move from Hawaii to California:
Temperature and Climate Change
The first thing you need to keep in mind with this type of move is the climate change you are going to experience when moving from Hawaii to California. These locations have different temperatures and climates; therefore, it is important to have an understanding of these details as it will help you to pack your clothes and other belongings accordingly.
Look for an Ideal Time to Move
This one holds vital importance. Do not relocate when the weather conditions are unfavorable. The colder season in California tends to be fairly wet, and can cause a little trouble when moving into your new home. This is why it is recommended to move when the weather conditions are ideal.
Decluttering your home prior to moving from Hawaii to California will not only help you to cut down on the packing time, it can also save a lot of money as well.
To do this, sort all the belongings you have gathered over the years and you will be surprised to see how much you have that you are not using. This can provide you monetary benefits as well when selling these unused items.
The guideline to follow here is to pack the most important stuff only and donate, dispose of, or sell the remaining items.
Find a Reputable Moving Company
You can save yourself plenty of hassle and stress by merely relying on a reputable moving company. They can assist you in every aspect of relocation and make a long-distance move such as moving from Hawaii to California an easy and stress-free process for you. To do this, make a list of moving companies that offer long-distance moving services. Get a quote from them, check their reviews and ratings on the internet, and decide accordingly.
For the best service, you can rely on Honolulu Moving Company. We have a team of the most professional and experienced movers, and can help you to move from Hawaii to California or any other state without any difficulty.
For more information on our long-distance moving services, contact us anytime!